Saturday, September 3, 2016

A Walk Around Dogo Day 1


By the end of the first day of my walk I had reached a small campsite in a beautiful little cove. I had been wanting to walk around Dogo, the largest of the Oki Islands, for a long time and last May I finally made it. Not a long walk, only 75 kilometers, and it took just three days.


The day started with some bullfighting, or rather bull sumo, a tradition of the Oki islands and still very popular on Dogo.


Then I headed east until I hit the coast, stopping in at shrines along the way looking for Kojin, the serpents made of straw....


On the way up the east coast I stopped in at Sasaki-ke, a traditional residence of a well to do family,


Then up the coast as far as the Jodogaura coast, one of the many areas of special geologic interest around the coastline. I had the campsite to myself.

1 comment: