Friday, March 20, 2015

Japanese Ducks


y70557

There are many species of ducks in Japan, but I believe these are Kamo, the common mallard.

They were and are eaten, and their arrival in the Autumn was used as a seasonal marker in poetry.

y70558

There has recently been a renewed interest in the use of domesticated ducks in rice agriculture. Traditionally they were used to control weeds and insects in the paddies as well as adding fertilizer.

y70552

All these were photographed in Chofu, Yamaguchi.

y70553

2 comments:

  1. Very very beautiful indeed!!
    Thanks for the photos and also for the information

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that.

    I have a wild mallard sitting on eggs 10 feet from my patio door (in England). Last year she hatched off 13 duckings! I wish I could post photos in comments.

    David

    ReplyDelete