Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ida Hachiman Shrine, Itano


h9950

The Ida Hachiman shrine is only a couple of hundred meters from the Suwa shrine and like it it seemed fairly unused.

h9951

There was no signboard so I have no information on it other than the obvious fact that is enshrines Hachiman.

h9952

Part of the reason I like to visit every shrine I pass is to discover the variations in the style of things like the komainu.

h9953

Already on the first day of the pilgrimage I had become aware that the komainu in Shikoku came in a wide variety of styles.

h9954

I also noticed this carving with a rabbit on the main building, but have no idea of its meaning or purpose.

3 comments:

  1. This komainu is unique looking like wearing armor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating grimace on the komainu. Could the carving (and building) have been done in the year of the rabbit, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John.... that would have been my first guess too. There are some really interesting komainu on Shikoku.....

    ReplyDelete