Friday, July 23, 2010

53,000 knotted handkerchiefs

hanky6804

Stopped by the Hamada Childrens Art Museum to check out the latest exhibit, owing much to Christo methinks.

hanky6805

The building is covered with 53,000 handerkerchiefs knotted together. Each handkerchief measures 30cms by 30 cms.

hanky6808

Its part of Tsunaide Aato ( Connection Art) a collaboration between 6 Japanese artists.

hanky6813

On Saturday the hankies come down off the building and then the garden and grounds of the museum will be covered in hankies.

hanky6822

It makes for some interesting light inside the building.

Hamada Childrens Museum of Art is located on the hilltop next to the University of Shimane, overlooking downtown Hamada.

4 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous installation, I have posted a link to your photos on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That in un-freakin-believable. If any one had told me about a hankie covered building I would have thought they were pulling my leg.

    There's no doubt something amazing to find in Japan every day... if you look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Thanks to Lis for getting me to your site. I have been lucky enough to visit Japan once, and would love to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is marvellous. Came here via Heather's friend's blog.

    ReplyDelete