Friday, February 12, 2010

Red hats & bibs: around the trees

tachi6037

The last time I visited Tachikue Gorge I was really lucky to get some quite magical light.

As well as along the cliff, some of the 1,500 statues are placed around some of the huge trees there.

tachi6038

There may be times during the year when the gorge gets visitors, but each time I've been there I have been the only person there.

tachi6024

The first time I visited I had walked for three days over the mountains from Iwami and down the Kando River.

tachi4351

Buses from Izumo Station, 8k away, stop at several point along the gorge.

tachi4354

6 comments:

  1. The top one is the pick of the litter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amanzing. I've been to Japan several times and next time we go...we need to get off the beaten path.
    I LOVE YOUR BLOG...
    I've been posting some of my b&Iw photos from Japan on my site. Hope you can take a look...

    http://patricktillettphotography.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat.
    Thanks.
    You have some nice photos on your site....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pictures! Are these Jizo Bosatsu? Why are they placed under the tree? Looks almost like some strong spiritual forces are gathering around the tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many are Jizo. Some are other buddhas and disciples. It was a Shugendo site, so natural connections are strong.

    ReplyDelete