Monday, June 9, 2008

The bridge at Aquas.

aquas-1

First-time visitors driving along Route 9 or passing by on the train through Hashi always point to the tower of the bridge at Aquas and ask "What is it?". From a distance the 46 metre tall curved tower doesn't look like a bridge at all. I'm not a civil engineer, but I believe it is an unusual form of cable-stayed bridge.

aquas9008

The curve of the tower represents a wave, and the 130m long bridge connects one of the fine, white, sandy beaches of Iwami Seaside Park with Aquas, the biggest and best aquarium in west Honshu.

aquas9044

The tiled surface of blues continues the theme of the sea. Built in 1996, as yet I have been unable to find out who designed it.

mol1894

5 comments:

  1. It looks similar to the Sundial Bridge in Redding, California. You are a great photographer, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :)
    Where are you going to be living in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will probably be near Waseda University in Tokyo. I won't know for sure until early next year.

    I have lived in Kofu (Yamanashi Ken), Kawasaki, Tokorozawa, and Setagaya Ku. But that was 20 years ago.

    I just started a novel that you may be interested in. It is called "The Street of a Thousand Blossoms" by Gail Tsukiyama. I'm only about 40 pages into it, but so far there is much about a mask maker in the Yanaka area of Tokyo. I'll blog a more complete review in a week or two when I finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...great photos of that bridge.. could not figure out what it was on Flickr

    ReplyDelete